Sunday, April 12, 2020

Mr. Z's Grade 4 Class – Remote Learning Update #5

What do labradoodles, LeBron James and Legos all have in common? They all are the subjects of some great non-fiction books available on the digital library site Epic!. Due to school closures, Epic! is offering free student accounts until June 30. I created a classroom for us, so now your student can access this reading site from home.

Besides tons of great non-fiction books on topics like history, science and animals, Epic! has lots of popular fiction titles, including many graphic novel series like LumberJanes and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It also has audio books and videos. I hope this resource can help ease frustration around getting access to appropriate reading materials while the school and libraries are closed. Your student can find a personal password and link to Epic! through our Typing Club, Epic!, Etc Google Classroom.

On the subject of math, I have heard the MathGames website that I steered students to last week can be a little laggy on some computers and contain a little more advertising than some parents would prefer. In response, starting this week I will offer a second option for practicing the targeted skills. It is a website that allows you to print skill-specific worksheets and answer keys. In the meantime, I will continue to research other online math practice sites.    

This is Week #5 of remote learning, so all the new work I provide in the Google Classrooms will be labeled as “Week #5.”

The overview of this week’s new work is in the Remote Learning Week #5 Parent-Caregiver Guide, available as a PDF file attached to this e-mail message.

Lastly, every week I learn about some new website created by Northampton school staff to support families. Links to all those sites, plus these weekly emails that I send to you, can be hard to keep track of. I want to remind you that I post copies of every class-wide email I send on my teacher blog, available at bssroom302.blogspot.com   Click on “List of Websites” on my blog to get to a list of all the websites I mention. I encourage you to visit and bookmark the blog for one-stop shopping to these emails and links.


OTHER IMPORTANT NEWS

* Bridge Street Adjustment Counselor Laurie Sperry and her NPS colleagues have created a website loaded with social emotional learning opportunities, supports, and contacts. Among the many resources are videos of our awesome counselors reading aloud some great books about worrying, mindfulness and bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment